Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Leviticus

On a hot night, Yoel watched television in the living room. A young white woman talked about the weather.

“This year, the country has very little rainfall in all regions. Moreover, the temperatures remain high, above 104 degrees Fahrenheit  in all states.”

They showed videos of forests and other places affected by the drought. There were also videos of fire.

“According to the experts,” the journalist continued, “there is no scientific explanation for this extreme weather. Brazilian climatic history shows the country had excellent weather until the middle of the 21st century, with mild temperatures and regular rains.”

“I would like to live in that era,” Yoel said.

Devorah entered the room.

“Yoel, are you coming to church with us?”

“Yes. It’s my only option.” He replied, discouraged.

“You have a choice. If you don’t want go, don’t go.”

Yoel smiled and replied sarcastically, “If I don’t go, tomorrow I’ll get a call or someone will come here to find out why I didn’t go. I’ll have to answer endless questions; it feels like a police interrogation. I’d rather go and avoid that.”

“Okay. Let’s go?”

“Let’s go.”

They went to the Galactic Church of the Lord’s headquarters. Before they reached the temple, there was a large garden surrounded by metal railings and security cabins with armed guards.

Yoel’s family arrived at the garden’s main entrance. There were also armed guards and turnstiles to control membership access. Each family member placed their hand on the fingerprint reader, and then they were allowed to enter.

At another turnstile, there was confusion. A middle-aged white man discussed with the security guards.

“Are you trying to invade our church?” One of the security guards asked aggressively.

The man was nervous and scared. He replied stuttering, “I, I, I don’t. It’s I… I’m here as a guest.”

“Who invited you?” The guard replied aggressively.

“A friend.”

“And where is your invitation card?”

“Invitation card?” The man was surprised.

“Didn’t your friend give you a card?”

“Yes, but it’s not here with me.”

“Without the card,” said the guard while pushing the man, “you can’t get in. Go away!” 

“But I only wanted…’

“You didn’t want to do anything. Get out of my face!” The guard pointed his pistol at the man.

“Don’t shoot!” the man said desperately, “I’ll go away.”

The man ran, afraid of being shot.

This excerpt is part of the book The Flame of Truth. Read and find out this fascinating story.

https://books2read.com/u/br6gBA

No comments:

Post a Comment

La vida de mis sueños

En una gran ciudad de Brasil, había dos chicos sin hogar, Ricardo y Santiago. Ellos eran adolescentes, negros, flacos, con trece y catorce a...